October 17, 2012

Reading!

Reading is such a big part of my work.
Last week I read (and examined) an excellent 200+ page masters' thesis, and two of my PhD students' drafts. I decided to put this week's reading in a pile - it is over 10cm of double sided text! The pile includes another PhD student's thesis draft, drafts of journal articles I am writing, and revising, drafts of the Intelligibility in Context Scale in 20 languages, and articles and page proofs for the International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology that I am reviewing and editing. It takes a lot of time to read - and the pile never seems to get much smaller. In addition I have over 600 flagged emails that I have not answered yet - even though answering emails consumes a very large part of every day. It is really important to remember that it is a privileged to be able to read, since many people in the world cannot.